Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Shopping in this "Developing Country"

Sometimes it is hard to remember that I am living and working in what many refer to as a "developing country". I live in one of the nicest parts of the city and my school is located in an affluent suburb, though you wouldn't necessarily know that due to the walls around everything. The people who live and work around me have a very comfortable lifestyle. Many have maids, nannies, drivers, etc. I have to continue to remind myself that many of our students have always had someone to do everything for them, as their job. Teaching children the importance of responsibility when they have little actual need to be responsible outside of school is truly a challenge, but an important one.

I went to the mall to do some window shopping the other day after work, and was surprised to see Prada, Armani, Chanel, Zara, North Face, Lacoste, etc. stores lining the mall. There are many other US shops and restaurants here. I pass Chili's, T. G. I. Fridays, KFC, Burger King, McDonald's, Pizza Hut, Papa John's, Domino's, Dunkin' Donuts, etc. daily. And for all you Apple lovers out there... Apple products are here, just twice as expensive and not quite as many available options as in the US. I must confess, I do still enjoy a Starbucks coffee at least once a week.

Some of you may remember the pictures and stories from my trip to Peru two years ago, where in the village of Cuncani, the people have very little and live off tea and potatoes. I'm glad I already have a better understanding of the contrasts of Peru from my last trip here. It's so important to have that perspective, and I look forward to leaving the comforts of the city for a while to explore more of the realities of life for most people in Peru. A woman in my apartment building told me that many Americans come to Peru and only experience the "Miami Triangle"- visiting the two city areas of Miraflores and San Isidro, and then the La Molina area. Signs of a "developing country" are still evident, though certainly not relative to my previous experiences in the highlands of Peru.




No comments:

Post a Comment